Oil Painting Tutorial
In this 2-hour tutorial, we’ll explore the basics of oil painting. The focus will be on creating a simple yet vibrant landscape while incorporating key aspects of colour theory. You can choose between your location or my Studio in Weston Turville. Once booked I will provide detailed information about what to expect at the tutorial (for more info open the tabs below). Please, book your slot in the calendar below.
- Winsor & Newton Oil Paints (Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Quinacridone Magenta, Cobalt Turquoise Light, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber)
- Brushes (Flat, Filbert, Round)
- Canvas or Panel
- Zest-it Brush Cleaner
- Palette Knifes
- Medium (Winsor & Newton Liquin Original)
- A brief overview of the tutorial objectives and the importance of the materials used.
- Explanation of the selected colour palette and its significance in creating a harmonious painting.
Colour Theory Basics
- A quick review of the colour wheel, primary, secondary, and tertiary colours.
- Discuss warm and cool colors, and their impact on mood and depth.
- Explanation of the chosen colours and their properties.
Preparing the Palette
- Demonstrating the proper way to squeeze out and arrange the selected colors on the palette.
- Introduction to the use of a palette knife for mixing and manipulating paint.
Blocking-In the Composition
- Guidance on sketching a simple landscape composition on the canvas.
- Demonstrating how to block in major shapes and values using a limited color palette.
Layering and Blending
- Introduction to layering techniques with oil paints.
- Demonstrating how to blend colors on the canvas to create smooth transitions.
- Focusing on adding finer details and refining the composition.
- Emphasizing the importance of brush selection and stroke direction.
Cleaning Brushes and Final Touches
- Proper brush cleaning techniques using Zest-it Brush Cleaner.
- Adding final touches to the painting to enhance details and overall composition.
Q&A and Tips for Further Practice
- Encouraging you to ask questions.
- Sharing additional tips for continuous improvement and future painting endeavours.
- Recap of key learnings.
- Encouraging to experiment with oil painting materials and explore your artistic style further.
The Seasons Art Class®
Join me for an inspiring artistic journey! Our 14-week courses cater to all skill levels, covering various techniques and mediums such as pencil drawing, oil pastels, watercolours, and acrylics.
Discover Your Inner Artist: Join Wolfango at The Seasons Art Class®
- Wednesdays – Aylesbury (Buckinghamshire)
- Thursdays – Thame (Oxfordshire)
A few years ago, I ventured out on a country road near my parent‘s home in Bene Vagienna, Italy on a crisp winter morning. As the misty veil of the morning lifted, I was graced with a breathtakingly honest and moving landscape. I wanted to capture the connection I felt to the farmed land, without filtering out its true beauty, including a pile of manure that would soon nourish the winter field (campo).
This vibrant oil painting captures the beauty of Niarbyl Bay on the Isle of Man, a place I was blessed to visit in August. I spent countless hours in early December 2022 crafting this artwork, and I’m delighted to share with you the time-lapse of my creative journey. As you watch, I invite you to take a journey with me, as I share the story of my artistic process.
I detested that old oil on board, and when I began the commission, I felt a wave of revulsion. In a fit of fury, I wiped the painting away, leaving it to languish in a forgotten corner of my studio. But a few days ago, I stumbled upon it again and decided to give it a second chance. I couldn’t bear to let a pristine Ampersand Gessobord go to waste, so I started anew, inspired by my daily stroll through the Weston Turville fields behind the local Church.